LC be nimble. LC be quick. LC jump over the slew of pricks

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Lcpod


Capable by KO
Collect Call by Metric
Afro Lover by James


Twas the night before Superbowl, when all through the house, all the roommates were stirring, to help me pick out a blouse.  My notch collared jacket was hung by my room door with care in hopes that my date would soon be here.

We were all sitting around in our lazy weekend wardrobes when the clock struck thirty minutes passed six, ringing the time for me to start my date preparation rituals.  We sipped on cocktails as I ran in and out of my room, showcasing possible outfits.  I bought an ensemble specifically for this encounter but was no longer feeling it.  I’m sure women everywhere can relate. I opted against the shirt dress but still wore the remaining pieces to feel sprightly.   Every date is a new guy, new place, new vibe, new personality, new look, new smell, new conversations, new everything so I always make sure to wear something new, to feel fresh, symbolizing a new beginning.  It’s purely psychological but every little bit helps.

Girlfriends are ideal in situations like these.  I can become very indecisive and that only means it takes me longer to get ready.  They solidified all my choices, right down to my colour of nail polish.

Winner: 2nd from the right



I was a very controlled giddy and had a great glow to my skin and demeanor.  Nerves crept up on me but hearing his voice on the phone some time prior to meeting helped relieve some of it.  Truthfully, the multiple vodka drinks were the calming potion. 

It was a snowy evening in the city which meant tricky driving conditions for my Mr. Saturday night.  He was coming to pick me up and I demanded he come in to meet the roommates.  It was a sick joke on my part but he nervously thanked me for the heads up.  Cha and Cynth are my bodyguards.  As the role of my protectors, it is crucial that whoever gets to me goes through them first.   JB didn’t meet them prior to us getting however little involved and I’m willing to bet that they would have told me to keep my guard up with him, because that seemed to have been everyone else’s impression of the guy.  My girlfriends have an extremely fine sense of character.   We’re all a hot mess when it comes to figuring out the men in our own lives however. 

In the end I told him it wasn't required of him to shake the hands of my protectors.  I retracted that statement right after both Cha and Cynth scurried so fast into their rooms when our doorbell rang.  It was a friend of ours, whom we were expecting, but they thought it was my date and didn't want to be seen half made up.  Fair enough.  I'm sure he was relieved that he didn't have to be subjected to awkward interrogation and a room full of stares.

My phone rings.  Hey, I’m here says the sexy male voice on the other end.  I bundle up and head for the door.  Cha and Cynth run to the front window, shut the lights and peak through the curtains to see how our initial encounter will unfold.  The burning question that we all were just waiting to be answered was: Will he get out of the car and greet me outside?  How I wanted it to happen and how it actually unfolded were two different things.  Again, therein lie the expectations and they fall short.  That was my one and only expectation so I forgave myself for that. 

I could hear the two of them through the window, rooting for him, and yelling something to the effect of "get out, get out".  I walked to the car as he remained seated in the drivers seat.  I opened the door, kicked the snow off my boots, sat down, shut the door, and then finally turned towards him for our initial eye contact.  We both smiled, gave a huge hello and extended a very warm welcome. It was in a fact a great pleasure meeting him.  His crystal blue eyes, 5 o'clock shadow and slightly curly hair gelled like a European's mane were all very easy to look at.

The conversation flowed seemlessly.  We drove to the Nirvana Room at College and Bathurst and cozied up in the very last booth.  It was way too dark for both our likings but we joked around with the candles quite a bit.  One pitcher of beer down, I now know he is just recently out of a 7 month relationship and he knows the whole story about JB (see Isnt it Pretty to Think So).  His family stems from Nazareth and he is the middle child.  He plays the big brother to both his sisters, he is terribly optimistic and hard working and has quite a dry sense of humour.  He is the type that slams on the breaks when his sister is putting on eye liner, tells me his last name is Righthouse and how perfectly suited it is seeing that he is a real estate agent (he laughed at his own material) or cracks the following joke after I tell him I'm part Irish: What's the difference between an Irish wedding and an Irish funeral? .................................................................................one less drunk. Please tell me you're laughing because I sure as hell was. 

We played paper scissor rock (or for all those of you who are in denial, rock paper scissor).  I killed it.  We didn't settle any terms prior to this hand showdown in front of everyone and he tried to get away with choosing the terms after the fact.  He's arguing with someone who almost became a lawyer.  Does he not get that. So I won that argument as well :)  Poor guy.  I don't cut him a break. 

More conversation ensued and next thing you know, he leans over the table and gives me a kiss.  It wasn't too short or too long .  It was the perfect length of time to show intimacy. My heart is palpitating.  He pulls away, looks me in the eyes and asks if it's okay that he did that.  The deed is done anyways so there's no sense in asking now. And besides, the kiss was reciprocated so it was fairly obvious what the answer was.  I just smiled and he leaned in again.  The waitress comes around and asks us if we want another drink.  We look at her.  We look at each other.  We decline and grab the bill and head for the door.

Skip a couple hours and he's driving me home.  It was a fairly innocent evening with him so get your mind out of the gutter.  We enjoyed every second of the car ride and basked in all the red lights.  It meant he was able to take his eyes off the road, concentrate on me and kiss the whole light through.  It was on purpose that he slowed down well in advance to get a red light.  Near the end of the drive, he tells me he has a gift for me.  He pulls from behind my seat a small bottle of Baileys.  

 mmmm !


Before you reach a conclusion about what seems to be a trailer trash first date gift,  you need to know that I confided in him my slight, unworrisome addiction to Baileys in my coffee and how I am out of the creamy alcoholic beverage.  My face lights up and extreme gratitude is written all over my face.  Red light.  Kiss time.  He definitely deserved that one. 

Pulled over on the side of the street and pretty much in a snow bank, we say our goodbyes.  He confides in me that he is excited to see where this will all lead.  I agreed.  He is interesting to say the least and there's an inexplicable chemistry and comfortableness with him.  Kiss after kiss, we finally pry ourselves apart. 

Goodbye Lynda.
Goodbye Anthony.

Only time will tell what comes of this date.  If anything, it gave me great garments to spruce up my wardrobe :)

LCxo

1 comment:

  1. Your blouse on Saturday night was fantastic! We discussed the not getting out of the car issue...not usually a great move...but maybe he was keeping dry in order to give dry hugs later?

    It was great to see your face after having a nice date. But be careful, don't set a president as you may end up getting small bottles of Bailey's for every present, special occasion, or anniversary. ;P

    ReplyDelete