Shame Shame Double Shame

It is with shame that I confess to you that I judge what people wear.  Allow me to defend myself.  I'm always so curious about clothes, their style, cut, design, colour, fabric etc. that I stare at people all the time.  I'm interested in how and what people couple together to make their outfit and what they'll use as accessories to complete that look.  During my analysis of their outfit, it just happens.  I judge.  That doesn't really sound like a great reason now does it.  Does the fact that I often feel bad mitigate my case?

What I try to do is I try to imagine their life story.  Maybe this was all they could afford, or they don't fit into anything else, they haven't gone shopping since highschool, it was handed down to them, or they just don't know any better.  Whatever the case may be, I get overcome with guilt as I silently judge their look and store my mental image of them in my look book of best and worst dressed.

However, I don't get that pang of guilt when its someone of wealth.  What's their excuse ?  Poor taste, and maybe even an element of Madonn-esque shock value sprinkled with some forced eccentricity.

There's the Lady Gaga's of the world who show up in eggs and waste a bunch of steak on a dress.  Starving people of the world, have a look at that.  And here we have Lauryn Hill out and about during NY Fashion Week wearing a mish mash of clothes that look like they were from the men's large section of Value Village.



Before you hate, Value Village is my favourite store.  I shop there often and I also have a love for menswear inspired, over-sized clothes.  That said, with my two love affairs aforementioned, I still cannot get myself to even come close to giving this outfit the green light.

It's hard to criticize a person's choice of clothing and then promote uniqueness.  But I really do believe that some people wear what they wear specifically to be different.  It's not inherently in them to wear something like Lauryn Hill is.  It is on purpose to get a rise.   That's when I jump the gun and mock.

Sorry.  Or am I ?

LCxo

No comments:

Post a Comment