Comfortable Stranger

Lcpod:

Parents' Living Room by Shout Out Louds
A-Punk by Vampire Weekend 
Run my Mouth by Ra Ra Riot (RAC Mix)
 

Heels, check.
Silk top, check.
Skinny jeans, check.
Great perfume, check.
Fringe under control, check.
Date, check.


5 pm strikes and that's my cue to walk south down bay, take a left on adelaide and check in at South of Temperance. I'm set to meet a monsieur who is an inhouse counsel for an insurance company.  What's great about him being a member of the legal profession is that I work for his profession's regulatory body, which then means I have full access to his file, his info, his professional history.  With this kind of investigative power at my fingertips, I had to dig.  I was delighted to know that he was in fact a lawyer, no lying there.  As for the rest, I have to exercise grave discretion.  Confidentiality is key so I shall remain hush hush.

Being able to find out even just the little bit that I did was such a great feeling.  It got me thinking that there should be a national database of men.  Of course, to have a transparent and fair process, there would be one on women.  The beauty in dating is finding out about a person, slowly unraveling them.  But imagine such a database !! It would save us such tremendous wastes of time on those who aren't deserving of us.  I'd be all up in that and I can just imagine what I would find out about the dudes from my past. 




I'm a few minutes early.  He got there 2 minutes passed.  Oooo, bad move. I can't have this.  He's immediately cut.  I shake his hand as I grab my jacket.  I'm leaving. I'm sorry, I don't wait.  I don't care for how short a period of time.  So I left.  His loss.

KIDDING !!!  I didn't leave and two minutes passed is absolutely fine.  I'm not a control freak, but apparently he is.  He jokes he isn't, but as my colleague best put it, all lawyers are control freaks.  Is that a bad thing ?  Not necessarily.  Who doesn't like control ?!

For a good hour and a half, I sat across from a perky, jovial and energetic gentleman.  With a smile spanning from ear to ear, he put me to shame with just how much he had to say.  And it was totally ok.   I thought it was great because 1) he warned me as much, that he likes to talk 2) refer to my previous post, I like the wordy types. What can I say.  I was completely entertained.  Talk away. 

Because he knows about this blog, he asked if I was going to talk about him.  Of course I was going to so I was honest.  I thought perhaps he may be taken back by that but he was the exact opposite.  He chose his own name.  He asked that I refer to him as RBK.  Amazing.  So RBK it is.  Like Reebok, but better.  I appreciate his willingness to be "exposed".  It's on.

Well, there's nothing negative to disclose.  The most I can expose is the fact that he is a great person, born and raised in the east coast, with great familial ties, proudly wears his heart on his sleeve, likely a great big brother, phenomenal friend and loyal partner.  While the above mentioned are all based on my short encounter with him, I can say for certain that he makes me laugh.  

My facebook status before meeting him was "Date night!  Let's see if this one will turn out to be a decent human being".

I am glad to announce that he is.


LCxo

1 comment:

  1. First off, I absolutely love and relate to the pic of: You Were An Exquisite Waste of Time!

    It is a bit disturbing that you checked up on him prior, but who am I kidding I may have very well done the same.

    I'm all for the male/female registry (government should spend a billion dollars on that instead of the gun registry...may be an argument there that fewer people would probably avoid getting killed...), there could be a feedback and rating system. Both positive and negative ratings would diminish in value over time to account for crazy emotional breakup rants and the possibility of personal growth.

    I think I may institute a 2 minute rule though...unfortunately it wont filter out punctual psychos...

    ReplyDelete