Jaded Commuter: Blend of Apathetic & Misunderstood

For the first time since moving to Toronto, I did the most Torontonian thing: cut in line in the subway station.  Mornings in the concrete jungle are a rat race.  It is very much survival of the fittest.  If you let one person ahead, the entire ttc population will follow suit and you’ll get nowhere fast.
The subway was slowing right down and the doors opened a couple steps to my left.  I walked towards the entry way and there stood two ladies.  I had a feeling it was going to be one of those awkward “no you go, no you go ahead, no, please, I insist, you go” moments.  I cannot stand those nor do I have time for the indecisive dance you do when you can’t gauge your opponent’s next step.  In sync you both step to the left, to the right, to the left, to the right and back to the left you go.  So I took it upon myself to avoid that and went first.  Apparently I misread the situation as I got the message loud and clear when she shouted UNBELIEVABLE!!! I had my iPod on, perfect way to pretend I didn't hear her. An even more awkward stare down proceeded in the subway, as if I should be penalized for this monstrosity.  Oh the humanity, how contrary I’ve been, rebelling against proper ttc etiquette.  She actually reminded me of myself when I go shopping and a garment is ridiculously overpriced. You will almost always hear me say, in a tone loud enough for people to hear, exactly how preposterous the price is. 
I wasn’t trying to be cut throat.  I was just going to work.  I don’t feel horrible because I did nothing wrong.  It was a misunderstanding, and surely they’ve gotten over it, if not shortly after then definitely after some venting at the water cooler with their respective work gangs.
The reality is there are people who are inherently rude and they will cut you off without a care in the world. So in the grand scheme of things, there is a lesson to be learned from my morning altercation.  Do not trample over anyone on your way to something, be it to work, a life goal, to love, to a particular project etc...  There are no exceptions to the rule. We live our lives, behave the way we do and see through actions that bring us to wherever and whatever we want.  But we do it in tandem with the rest of the world.  It is as if we work together, but separately, in pursuing our lives. So whenever you crush someone on route to that dream job, dream house, dream vacation, dream girl or guy, you are encroaching on their life story and set them back a tiny bit.  Your aspirations, wants and needs are no more important than those of the person next to you.  Therefore be gentle in your ways.
Day 3 on the Excitement Meter
My sister and I are in serious mode with this quest to make every day exciting.  We're on day 3 now.
Exciting factor #1: I danced like no one was watching.  But I was in the subway station, people were indeed watching.  If anyone saw me this morning, they likely turned away pretending to not know me because I was that person, ipod on, dancing for the crowd. With Cult Logic by Miike Snow on endless repeat, my head was bobbing, my knees were jerking and my feet were stepping.
Exciting factor #2: I am sporting a new hairdo.  With hair so fine and almost reaching my rear end, it's rather difficult to try new things.  But this particular side part is working out perfectly.  It's just jim-dandy.
Exciting factor #3: I am meeting with a textile designer this week to discuss and design my line of scarves.  Those who know me know I adore scarves.  If scarves had feet, I would worship the ground they walked on.  I am thrilled to be going ahead with this.  Wish me luck.
Exciting factor #4: I am contacting pattern drafters and sample makers for my womenswear line.  I love creativity.  It makes my heart flutter.

Cheers to a great day.
LCxo

No comments:

Post a Comment